We advise our Clients in matters concerning the energy sector and geological and mining issues connected with natural resources. We advise on issues concerning the traditional energy sector and renewable energy sources. As regards mining and geology matters concerning natural resources, we act on behalf of clients in proceedings concerning business activities related to the exploration and identification of mineral deposits and the mining of minerals.
- Moreover, SSW Law Firm is affiliated with the following organisations:
- Polish Association of Mining Industry Employers (established under the auspices of the Lewiatan Confederation)
- Institute for Energy Law, a constituent part of The Centre for American and International Law
- Polish Wind Energy Association (PSEW)
Our advisory services regarding natural resources include:
- Preparing memoranda and opinions on exploration and production operations and the formal and legal requirements concerning the implementation of exploration and extracting projects
- Comprehensive support in preparing concession applications for exploration and identifying deposits and for mining natural resources including natural gas, crude oil, methane from coal deposits, lignite, copper, dolomite, aggregates and other natural resources
- Ongoing supervision of the concession proceedings as regards any arrangements and opinions issued by competent state and local government administration bodies, including the monitoring of concession proceedings
- Conducting proceedings related to the amendment and transfer of concessions and the transfer of shares in a mining usufruct
- Advising on proceedings to create a mining usufruct
- Preparing the necessary tender documentation in proceedings for the granting of sectoral public procurement contracts
- Representing clients during negotiations with competitors on the division of concession areas (based on geographical or objective reasons)
- Supporting the initiation of inter-entity cooperation on the basis of cooperation agreements, whilst also ensuring compliance with Polish and EU law
- Advising on the use and transport of radioactive and nuclear materials used during geological and mining operations
- Our advisory services regarding investments in renewable energy sources include:
- Preparing memoranda and opinions on business operations, as regards the planning and implementation of investments, including the construction of wind farms
- Representing Investors in proceedings to obtain location decisions
- Advising on the adoption of local area development plans
- Assisting in the acquisition of all decisions and permits necessary throughout the investment process
- Comprehensive support in preparing concession applications for energy production
- Forming new entities (companies) dealing with wind energy
- Ongoing supervision of concession proceedings as regards any arrangements and opinions issued by competent state and local government administration bodies, including the monitoring of proceedings in order to ensure the validity and efficiency of the proceedings
On 13 – 14 January 2015 in Bristol hotel in Warsaw the Mining and Geological Law Act Conference took place. The event gathered over 90 representatives of companies operating in mining industry. Within two days several experts discussed practical aspects of amendments in the Mining and Geological Law. The lecturers included, inter alia, Daniel Kawczyński – a member of the British Parliament and a special advisor to the British Prime Minister, professor Andrzej Kraszewski Ph. D. and engineer – former Minister of Environment, Henryk Jezierski Ph.D. – former Undersecretary of State and Chief National Geologist and Piotr Woźniak – former Minister of Economy and Chief National Geologist, Undersecretary in Ministry of Environment.
SSW Spaczyński, Szczepaniak i Wspólnicy Law Firm was a co-organiser and partner of the Conference.
We invite you to watch the video of this event.
Annually, we prepare an extensive chapter concerning the Polish gas market in Getting the Deal Through – “Gas Regulation” – in which we comprehensively describe the legal regulations governing the exploration, production, piping, storing and selling of gas and the latest trends in the industry.
- Advising an international mining group on environmental protection law and environmental decisions
- Advising a company exploring and extracting crude oil deposits in relation to various environmental issues
- Conducting due diligence in respect of a wind farm having a capacity of over 40 MW
- Facilitating a bio-gas facility investment via the acquisition of environmental decisions and building permits
- Representing an aggregate-mining company in court and administration proceedings in relation to a concession for sand extraction
- Advising the Polish Wind Energy Association during the legislative process concerning the localization of energy projects
- Advising an international mining group on concessions for exploring and identifying hard bituminous coal
- Assisting an international energy corporation in proceedings for the acquisition of concessions for the exploration and extraction of gas
- Representing the Association of Mining Industry Employers (Lewiatan Confederation) in the legislative process concerning hydrocarbons and the Geological and Mining Act
- Carrying out projects related to establishing cooperation between entities with mining concessions - on the basis of cooperation agreements such as farm-in/out agreement, joint operating agreement
- Obtaining permits such as permits required under the Water Law Act, decisions on waste management, including hazardous waste and mining waste for international provider of solutions in the energy sector
- Comprehensive advice for international entity dealing with exploration and extraction of copper under contracts governing titles to land and access to land, for exploration and mining activities
- Development of comprehensive memorandum for the largest company in the energy sector in Poland, relating to the possibility of using alternative fuel from waste used in the mode of deprivation of waste status
In the 2016 Legal 500 EMEA ranking, SSW was recognised the area of Energy and Natural Resources. The ranking singled out the team which led a competitive licence proceedings on behalf of a Canadian production company against a leading Treasury-owned Polish production company and provides ongoing legal support for a company engaged, among other things, in lignite production. Piotr Spaczyński - the practice leader and Anna Piotrowska were considered the key names in this industry area.
The SSW's Energy and Natural Resources practice was recognised in the 2015 Legal 500 EMEA ranking, with Piotr Spaczyński selected as a recommended lawyer. A special mention was given to the experts dedicated to clients representing production industry where a dynamic duo is composed of the open-minded and communicative Piotr Spaczyński and the proactive Anna Piotrowska.
In the 2014 Legal 500 EMEA ranking, SSW was recognised the area of Energy and Natural Resources. The team of the Energy and Natural Resources practice was appreciated for their excellent industry knowledge as well as the expertise in the energy and mining law. Piotr Spaczyński was nominated as a recommended lawyer.
The SSW's Energy and Natural Resources practice was recognised in the 2017 Chambers Europe ranking. According to Chambers, the team is best known for in-depth expertise regarding mining and geological law projects, particularly at the stages of development and exploration within the natural resources extraction process. SSW is also active in the renewables sector and handles regulatory and contentious matters.
The firm's specialist reputation in this industry sector is noted by the clients who confirm that “Their focus is on mining regulations”. Another interviewee adds that "The SSW team's area of expertise is upstream oil and gas and coal mining."
Piotr Spaczyński - is seen by Chambers as a well-recognised name in the Polish energy market. He receives recognition for his oil and gas experience and is also active in the mining sector. He has practical experience of complex regulatory and environmental matters, often relating to concessions. He also handles contentious cases. Dominik Strzałkowski – is a visible figure in the mining and renewables sectors. “Clients like him” a source says.
The SSW's Energy and Natural Resources practice was recognised in the 2016 Chambers Europe ranking. Chambers commends the SSW team for comprehensive experience in production projects, as well as in RES and oil and gas industries. The clients interviewed by Chambers pointed out that they were impressed by the speed at which the team worked, timeliness and support which was reinforced as needed. Piotr Spaczyński was recommended for the activity in the oil and gas and mining industries. Clients appreciate his ability to approach issues from a business perspective and his understanding of and skill of responding to their needs. Dominik Strzałkowski is recommended as a very promising new lawyer and described ascommitted and smart. According to Chambers, Dominik deals with various cases but is most known for his expertise in the renewables market.
The SSW's Energy and Natural Resources practice was recognised in the 2015 Chambers Europe ranking. According to Chambers, the SSW team stands out by their comprehensive experience in the extractive sector, as clients reported that SSW’s natural resources team provides tailor-made and pragmatic advice. Piotr Spaczyński is recommended as being stellar in specific mining regulations, while Dominik Strzałkowski deserved a special mention for his achievements in advising on renewable energy sources and is recommended as being open-minded, helpful and easy-going.
In the 2014 Chambers Europe ranking, SSW was recognised the area of Energy and Natural Resources. According to Chambers, the SSW team stands out by their experience in the extractive industry. According to clients the team is very commercial in its approach and its strategic recommendations. Special mention in the ranking was given to Piotr Spaczyński who is described as very sharp and as somebody to be counted on in every situation, and to Dominik Strzałkowski who is recommended, inter alia, for being client-oriented.
In 2017, the IFLR1000 ranking recognised SSW in three categories related to energy:
In the Energy & Infrastructure sector, Piotr Spaczyński was nominated as a “leading lawyer”. According to the authors of the ranking, SSW is best known for its work in the mining and natural resources sectors. Key projects in the research period include the work for a Canadian company from the natural resources production industry in relation to concession applications; work for a U.S. player from the production industry in relation to a mining tender; advising an Australian coal company on the transition of a project from exploration to production of coal; and acting for a leading Treasury-owned energy company on a master legal service agreement in relation to oil and gas exploration and production.
In 2016, the IFLR1000 ranking recognised SSW in three categories related to energy:
According to IFLR 1000, SSW has been particularly active in mining and natural resources matters and this is backed up not only by transactional highlights but also its work alongside on the revisions and amendments made to the country’s Geology and Mining Law Act. For mining sector clients Piotr Spaczyński is the preferred lawyer because, as one of them says, he is professional and pragmatic in understanding clients’ needs. They also appreciate his commitment, availability and flexibility. Moreover, Piotr is always up-to-date with changes in mining regulations. A technology client says of the SSW team: “Excellent legal services provided by a competent team of lawyers. This includes work on new technology in the energy sector and the legal framework to apply them in practice. Excellent competence on European law.”
In 2015, SSW was also recognised in the IFLR1000 ranking, appearing in three categories related to energy, and Piotr Spaczyński was nominated as a Leading Lawyer.
In 2014, SSW was recognised the IFLR1000 ranking in all the four categories related to energy: